In 1937 the BMW showed model R6 – its first 600-cc motorcycle. The engine of R6 was conceptually like the engine of the previous BMW model, R5 , and it was also using transmission with spur pinions. The difference was that R6 got a long-stroke engine installed, having the rating of 18 h.p. at 4800 rpm and sufficient driving torque for using a sidecar with the motorcycle.
BMW installed the same engine (as on R6) on its new model, R61, which was presented for the first time at the 1938 salon in Berlin, together with three other motorcycle models, R51, R66, and R71. The distinctive feature of all shown BMW motorcycles was the use, for the first time in BMW history, of telescopic rear suspension.
BMW R61 motorcycles were delivered, among other clients, to the Dutch and German military. Both models, R61 and R71, were a very popular means of transportation with Wehrmacht soldiers. They rode them all around Europe, from the English Channel to Volga, and they used them during their military campaign in Africa. These models had not just an image of “Fascist motorcycle”: their other, more presentable quality was that of sturdiness and reliability.
|Manufacturer||Bayerische Motoren Werke, AG, Munich (Germany)|
|Years of manufacture||1938 – 1941|
|Quantity produced, units||3 747|
|Price||1 420 RM|
|Today’s value||$ 9 178.48|
|ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION|
|Engine capacity, cc||600|
|Bore and stroke, mm||70 х 78|
|Engine rating||18 h.p. at 4800 rpm|
|Carburetor||2 carburetors, type Amal 75/243 S|
|FRAME AND WHEELBASE|
|Frame type||Duplex tubular, steel|
|Wheel size||3.50 х 19|
|Ground clearance, mm|
|Gas tank size, l||
|Maximum speed, km/h||