Motorworld’s newspaper №57
Belgium authorities understood that hiding out in neutrality is not an option. But also they weren’t going to be a sacrificial lamb. The more so, because the Belgian forces fought heroically during the WWI and who knows what the outcome of the Battle of the Marne would it be if the siege of Antwerp didn’t draw some German forces?
The best strategians has prepared for an agile actions, a mechanized war. One of them was Henri Denis, a Belgian Defense Secretary, an Lieutenant General. He launched several projects on re-equipment & mechanization of the Army and invited tenders for creation of a heavy military motorcycle. It had to be a machine, which could be used for fire support operations, supply support as well as a communications vehicle. The requirements were as follows: It must carry three fully equipped soldiers and a machine gun. Responding to this requirements, a Belgian company FN, in the beginning of 1937, introduced a heavy motorcycle FN M12.
By that time, FN was the major motorcycle supplier for the Belgian Army; at this, the M86 model was widely used in armies of other countries. The machine had 600 cc one-cylinder engine.
Despite of good towing performance, Belgian engineers equipped the machine with an auxiliary transmission as an addition to the hand shifted four-speed gearbox with reverse gear. But the real innovation was a sidecar wheel drive. Drive for a sidecar wheel was independently suggested by two different inventors: Peter Mozharov (Russia) and Henry Baughan (England). In the end of 1929, Peter Mozharov built an experimental Izh-2, and Henry Baughan built a trial bike with a sidecar wheel drive (Baughan’s bikes had been manufacturing from 1930 till 1936 under the Baughan marque). The Belgians were the first who used this idea for a mass produced military motorcycle. Sidecar wheel drive was implemented via a drive shaft, which got connected when necessary (in severe road conditions). Thus the bike didn’t require a compensating gear.
The double cradle was made of heavy-duty steel pipes (the same pipes were used for a sidecar frame). A sidecar was attached to the frame via quarter elliptic springs (other Belgian motorcycles had the same design according to the military requirements). The front suspension was a parallelogram suspension with the central spring; the rear suspension was a rigid one. All three wheels could be interchanged and hubs were mounted in such a way that brakes and bearings are still in place when a wheel is removed. All wheels including the sidecar’s had drum brakes and tyres having big cleats. A spare wheel was attached in the sidecar’s back-end.
In January 1937, a civil model FN M12 Grand Tourisme was introduced at the Motor Show in Brussels. However, it didn’t go to mass production. In the spring of 1937, a military version FN M12a SM was submitted to the military tests. Machines covered 6,000 kms (off-road, sandy and rocky roads) for six days. Military inspectors who were scrupulously taking the records, accepted the machine with an excellent mark. The military launch order consisted of 750 units. The total number produced was 1180 machines 1090 of which were enrolled at the Belgian Army. Motorcycle units of the 1st Cavalry Division got these bikes first.
In July 1938, the FN M12a SM was introduced at the International Competition of the military motorcycles in Spa. After, sales abroad has started: Iran bought 51 units and Greece bought 33 units. Several bikes went to Germany where they had been extensively dissected. When Zündapp had been designing the KS750 , it have used some technical solutions borrowed from FN bikes.
Zündapp KS 750 from the «Motorworld by V.Sheynov» collection
FN Tricar Т3 from the «Motorworld by V.Sheynov» collection
The powertrain and some other units of the FN M12a SM were also used in the FN Tricar Т3 (a military trike) and in a light three wheel van (after the war).
Unfortunately, history didn’t repeat itself this time and Belgium failed at another valiant campaign. The Germans has crossed the Belgium board on 10 May 1940. On 28th May 1940, Belgium have struck the flag. Almost every FN M12a SM was captured as a war booty. A considerable part of these machines was used in the Eastern Front (including the Battle of Stalingrad). If you search some information over the Internet, you’ll find dozens of photos depicting happy German soldiers riding Belgian bikes.
|Manufacturer||Fabrique Nationale d’Armes de Guerre Herstal (Fabrique Nationale SA, Herstal)|
|Years of manufacture||1937 – 1939|
|Quantity produced, units||1 180|
|ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION|
|Engine capacity, cc||992|
|Bore and stroke, mm||90 x 78|
|Engine rating||22 hp at 4000 rpm|
|Carburetor||Amal 28 mm|
|Transmission||4-speed, with ф reverse gear and a reducer|
|FRAME AND WHEELBASE|
|Frame type||Duplex steel tubular|
|Front suspension||Parallelogram with a friction damper|
|Wheel size||4,00 х 19|
|Ground clearance, mm||
|Seat height, mm|
|Gas tank size, l||
|Maximum speed, km/h||